Monday, February 27, 2017
1. Day of 100 Dads! March 10th! You know the deal by now, right? This is one of the better ideas we’ve had in the last couple of years, so… Dads! If you haven’t signed up? Please join us. Moms! If Dads haven’t signed up, please exercise your executive authority and cause them to attend! http://www.signupgenius.com/
And fair warning, all slots which are not filled by other parents will be taken by a live, schoolwide simulcast of an epic, day-long rap battle between the esteemed “Perilous” Pavan Mamillipalli and your humble correspondent, “Dynamite” David Whiting.
So please.. sign up and save me from myself!
2. Bingo Night! Also March 10th! Everybody loves bingo night! Come and join us as the teachers call numbers and kids amaze parents with their ability to play 30285203528 cards at once! Mary Carbaugh has worked very hard to keep prices low again this year, and um.. let’s just say it must have been ah… coincidence… that the PTA president won the very first round last year. Lucky guy!
3. GREEN TEAM — The Green Team (you know we have a Green Team, right?), comprised by a group of environmentally-aware and -curious students, will plant a seedling of an idea at our march PTA Membership Meeting on March 21 which, we hope, will sprout into a full-fledged garden of learning and community building, as we refurbish the planter-boxes on the Floris campus. The kids are going to be sharing a very reasonable proposal for their project, and I hope you’ll attend and give them your full consideration. I will.
4. Art Night — April 6. Save the date! More info coming soon, but.. save the date!
5. Reflections Winners! Countywide! On behalf of our Reflections chairs, Mr. Nilay Gandhi and myself, a GIGANTIC congratulations goes out to the following Floris students who have placed at the Countywide Level!
Zoeb Izzi — Outstanding Interpretation in Dance Choreography
Ruthika Mamidi — Award of Merit in Film Production
Hia Banerjee — Award of Excellence in Literature
Sarah Ghantiwala — Outstanding Interpretation in Music Composition
Connor Whiting — Award of Merit in Music Composition
Conrad Cliff — Award of Merit in Photography
Jack Whiting — Award of Excellence in Photography
Kevin Guo — Award of Merit in Visual Arts
6. You guys still with me? Ok. So. It’s time to talk teacher-appreciation week. As you all know, I’m a very timid and unassuming sort of person. As such, I’ve unilaterally redesigned the PTA’s role in teacher-appreciation week because… it needed doing. So this year, instead of stocking the teacher’s lounge with snacks, we’re going to try something more personalized and meaningful.
Your room parents will be reaching out to you in the very near future — I’m asking each child to prepare a thank-you page, on 8.5×11 paper, for his/her classroom teacher, and all specials teachers with which your child has a connection (art, music, PE, counseling, special Ed, AAP, etc — just ask your kids).
Essentially, we’re making thank-you notes for the teachers, and the room parents are going to collect them. Room parents will compile binders of notes for each classroom teacher (nothing fancy), and I’ll compile binders for the specials teachers and other specialists. And during teacher appreciation week, we’ll hand over the binders to the appropriate teachers.
So what’s your role? Simply to ask your children to spend a few minutes making a thank-you note (or picture, or photograph, or poem, or pretty much anything). It’s all fair game so long as it’s on 8.5×11 paper, can be hole punched and will go nicely into a 3-ring binder (nothing 3-dimensional, please).
Teacher appreciation week is the first week of May, so we’ll be working on this project during March. Please feel free to get started so room parents don’t have to chase you down. Because they’re a fearsome and intimidating bunch, this year. I wouldn’t mess with them…